Friday, June 8, 2012

What High School and T-Sweezy Taught Me


Well, I’m about to take an extremely cliché route, and I’m terribly sorry. When I was 15, and a freshman, Taylor Swift’s song “Fifteen” came out and well, it sort of defined my life(along with “You Belong With Me, Enchanted, Tear Drops on My Guitar, Mean, etc. etc. etc.) I feel like since I’m graduating tomorrow, I’m far enough away from being 15 to be able to reflect on it (you’re probably chuckling at my audacity right now, but T-Sweezy also taught me to be fearless, so HA!)

VERSE 1

You take a deep breath as you walk through the doors
It's the morning of your very first day
you say hi to your friends you ain't seen in a while
Try and stay out of everybody’s way
it’s your freshman year and you're gonna be here
for the next four years in this town
hoping one of those senior boys will wink at you and say
you know I haven’t seen you around, before

I was petrified of being a freshman; actually I was petrified at being whatever age I was. High school is just so awkward. You never feel like you’re doing the right thing and like the biggest loser EVER to have ever walked those “hallowed halls”, so embrace it. Americans are so consumed with putting up this façade that we are never real. I think we would have WAY better self-esteems if we were just honest.

~Side note(s)

Everyone who isn’t a freshman, make sure that you remember how you felt, and treat freshman with respect, no matter how hard upper classmen were on you.

Is it bad that even when I was a senior, I wanted a senior boy to wink at me?

CHOURUS 1

'Cause when you’re fifteen and somebody tells you they love you
you're gonna believe them
and when you’re fifteen
feeling like there's nothing to figure out
well count to ten, take it in
this is life before you know who you're gonna be
fifteen

How gullible are all of us the minute an attractive person even just says “hey”? I’m mean seriously. Guard your heart people because you only get one. That’s a lesson I’ve worked hard to feebly learn, and I still have a long ways to go. Take me advice now and enjoy it. Being 18, I still don’t know who I’m going to be, and I don’t think anyone truly does. Take it each day at a time, and you’ll slowly figure it out. Don’t rush.

VERSE 2

You sit in class next to a redhead named Abigail
and soon enough you're best friends
laughing at the other girls who think they're so cool
we'll be out of here as soon as we can
and then you're on your very first date and he's got a car
and you're feeling like flying
and your mama's waiting up and you're thinkin' he’s the one
and you're dancing round your room when the night end
when the night ends

OK, that is some profound advice in this first chunk, but it’s a little hidden. Don’t be scared to say hi to that new person. I said hi to Dillon Nilsen and got flowers*. Don’t think you’ll always be that blessed, sometimes you meet your enemy too, but you never know until you try. There is always something to talk to someone about, if anything stoop down to the weather and work up from there. She also encourages us to live life. I didn’t live life too much in high school because I was scared silly. I was too scared to take a leap of faith and enjoy life, I regret that. But I don’t advocate reckless living either. Just be wise and listen to those around you.

CHOURUS 2

'Cause when you’re fifteen and somebody tells you they love you
you're gonna believe them
and when you're fifteen and your first kiss
makes your head spin 'round but
in your life you'll do things greater than dating the boy on the football team
I didn’t know it at fifteen

I can’t help but feel like this last part is so true. When I was like 10 and watched the over glamorized movies about high school, I just knew deep down in my little heart that I was going to be a cheerleader and be dating the star football player. Let’s just say that none of that came close to being true. Some more advice, don’t have expectations. In some ways, you’ll be happier than you could have planned and in other ways, it will be much worse. Just go with it!

Bridge

When all you wanted was to be wanted
wish you could go back and tell yourself what you know now
Back then I swore I was gonna marry him someday
but I realized there are bigger dreams in life
when Abigail gave everything she had to a boy who changed his mind, we both cried

Please understand that high school ISN’T the end of your life. You’ll probably end up falling for a few guys that you think are the bee’s knees when they just aren’t. Don’t make poor decisions just to feel loved, because it will leave you emptier than before. Be good to your emotions and your heart. Also, be there for each other. High school isn’t easy and you’ll need people to support you and you’ll need to support others, it’s how it goes. Love people, it’s as simple and complicated as that.

CHOURUS 3

'Cause when you're fifteen and somebody tells you they love you you're gonna believe them.
and when you're fifteen, don’t forget to look before you fall
I've found that time can heal most anything
and you just might find who you're supposed to be
I didn’t know who I was supposed to be at fifteen

Don’t forget about your family, they’ll be your safe place to fall. Mine always were. It’s easy to think you’re all cool and independent, but you’d be nothing without your family. And it’s true about time, for the most part. Sometimes, offenses cut deep and shape you forever, but time makes them less painful. I’ve made incredible friends because time passed between a petty fight and we were able to move on past whatever the issue is.

This blog sums up my thoughts on high school in a very generic manner. I’ll never forget the last for years or the countless people that are getting me across that stage tomorrow. I can’t wait to revisit this blog four years from now and see how dumb I was tonight. By no means do I think I know everything, but I thought some advice for others might be nice.

These flowers have been stuck in the mail since we were freshmen. Nice to see UPS coming through!

This is the song I was talking about the whole time...

No comments:

Post a Comment