Sunday, January 29, 2012

My new life


I made some mistakes last week:

1.       I wore TOMS when I should have worn rain boots and rain boots when I should have worn TOMS.

2.       I ordered mac ‘n’ cheese at the Red Robin when they were all out.

3.       I let people ruin my week who won’t matter after I graduate.

Some of the things I learned last week:

1.       Accurately monitor the weather forecast while living in Washington

2.       Always have a well thought out backup plan when ordering at a restaurant (my mac ‘n’ cheese alternative was a burger with things I hate on it. TALK ABOUT DISAPPOINTMENT!)

3.       No one should control my happiness.

I also learned that we learn lessons too late. Many of these could have been avoided if I had slowed down and checked the weather, checked the menu, or checked with God. Huh, funny right? In our fast-paced world, we make brash decisions that hurt us in the future. Imagine if life slowed down a little. If we didn’t have 30 million things to do, voices we’re listening too, and expectations we think we have, would we make different choices? I would.

Tomorrow marks a change in my life. Life really can’t slow down, but my perspective can. I won’t wear my TOMS to impress others (which is kind of what I did), I’ll consider my meal orders to make sure I get what I want, and I won’t let anyone determine my level of happiness, that’s between me and God. You should adopt that philosophy too. The first time I can ever remember hearing this advice was watching The Princess Diaries when Joe informs Mia that:

No one can make you feel inferior without your consent.

-Eleanor Roosevelt
Eleanor Roosevelt knew that no one would determine her happiness
and no one will determine mine.
(I realize that this is more of a New Year's Resolution post, but I didn't have this epiphany until just now)

No comments:

Post a Comment