Friday, February 10, 2012

Let it go



Those three words can pack quite a punch, but sometimes, they are just what we need to hear. Last Sunday at church, I was speaking with Paula Dawson, a woman who could be another mom to me, and we were talking about college. Her son, Drew, is my age and Drew, Paula, and dad/father Paul had just got back from checking Drew’s first choice school and she asked me if I had made up my mind. I promptly told her no, because while I was leaning towards a school, I hadn’t made up my mind. She said, “That’s OK, but it’s so exciting because God has you right in his hands.” While I realize that, I often forget it.


Tuesday night my soul sista, Maddi, sent me the picture above for two reasons. One, because I adore balloons (another story for another blog), and reason number two is because I tend to hold onto things for far too long. Balloons are the perfect symbol for letting things go. They just float away and never return again. I remember being little and letting balloons go in remembrance of loved ones who had passed away. My sisters and I would stare at the sky longing for them to return, but realizing that was impossible.
 

God used that image to penetrate my heart that night. I went to bed that night with a heavy heart. I needed to make some college decisions and didn’t know how. I just started crying and said,
“OK God you take this. I don’t want to deal with it any more. I’m putting it in your hands and just give me a sign and I’ll go to the college you choose. AMEN!!!!!” With that, I cried a little more and went to sleep.
 

Wednesday, I attended the Josten’s Leadership Conference at the Kent Showare Center. The first speaker of the day was from inner-city Chicago and never learned how to swim. When he and his friends went on a cruise, he never left the shallow end.
 

And on that note, you’ll have to wait a little longer to see how this story ends. A Pocahontas movie night with my sisters is calling my name. It is the important things in life.

No comments:

Post a Comment